Dinutvei.no Logo Nasjonal veiviser
ved vold og overgrep

Have you been subjected to violence or assault? What can the mental health service in your municipality offer?

to kvinner sitter sammen og snakker

Have you been subjected to violence, rape or other forms of sexual assault and need help to work through what you have experienced? All local authorities offer mental health services, and many have their own municipal psychologist.

There are many ways in which to react following violence or assault. Some people may benefit from talking to a therapist, others also require admission to a psychiatric unit for a while. A GP, psychologist or dentist can, in consultation, assess whether you need such help and refer you if they feel this is necessary. Ask whether those referring you understand that you require a therapist with knowledge of violence and traumas.

All local authorities offer mental health services, and many have their own municipal psychologist

To receive treatment from a district psychiatric centre (DPS) or from a psychologist or psychiatrist who has an operating subsidy (contract specialists), you will require a referral. There are also a number of private psychologists and psychiatrists who practise without an operating subsidy. In such cases you usually do not require a referral, but the service will often be more expensive than treatment at a district psychiatric centre or psychologist/psychiatrist who has an operating subsidy. At a district psychiatric centre or psychologist/psychiatrist you are required to pay the ordinary user fee.

The staff have a duty of confidentiality and are therefore not allowed to share any information about you with others without your consent, or if there is a risk to life and health. An interpreter can be offered, when necessary.

The waiting time for treatment at a district psychiatric centre varies depending on where you are in the country. If your local district psychiatric centre cannot offer you a good enough service, there is an option for you to be treated at another district psychiatric centre. You can contact the information service “Select place of treatment” for questions regarding services and waiting times on the following telephone number: 800 43 573 (800 HELSE).

Check the average waiting time at your local centre (in Norwegian only)

List of whom you can contact if you need help or someone to talk to on the website of helsenorge.no (in Norwegian only)

List of private contract specialists (psychiatrists and psychologists)
(in Norwegian only)

Find a psychologist on website of The Norwegian Psychological Association (in Norwegian only)

SANKS – a service offering mental health advice to the Sami population (in Norwegian only)


Døgnåpne tjenester:

Er du voksen og trenger selv hjelp eller ønsker å hjelpe en annen voksen?

Er du bekymret for et barn eller trenger hjelp i omsorgen for barn?

På nettsidene våre finner du oversikt også over andre hjelpetilbud. Det varierer hva de ulike tjenestene kan tilby i øyeblikket. Vi anbefaler deg likevel å ta kontakt og sjekke ut hvilken hjelp du kan få. Spørsmål- og svartjenesten på dinutvei.no er også åpen.